Saturday, May 21, 2011

Learning to do Amazing Things

About nine days before the county livestock show; my dear daughter's show steer bloated while she was at an extracurricular school function.  He had tried to bloat on multiple occassions but this was the fourth time it was severe enough to use anything such as Thera-Bloat or take him to the vet.  The first time, Thera-Bloat resolved the issue.  The second time, we were out of the medicine and had to make a trip to the vet to be reminded that I actually knew how to deflate a bovine in a relatively harmless way when medicines weren't available.  The third time, we used my last bottle of medicine.  So this left us without anything to use and I didn't want to add anything more to my vet bill if possible. 

The tools I used were a small piece of p.v.c. pipe and a smallish hose:


A mom doing what she has to do:

While I held the pipe in the steer's mouth as a speculum and ran the hose down to his stomach; I had my son mash on his belly where the bloat was sticking out.  Talk about some nasty smelling stuff!   But he was all better afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment