Monday, May 2, 2011

A Hunter Always Gets Their Prey (04.26.2011)

 I killed the big cat.

This morning. . I, again had lion hunting before breakfast.  Not too tasty.  Never heard a sound or peep. The only nocturnal type creature I heard at/after daylight was a hoot owl.

Took MJ to school and brought Jake back with me as he has a dentist appointment later this morning.  Stopped at the house to keep our scents going as long as possible.  Got out of the truck and as we were walking to the house, I told Jake to go check his goats.  I fed them at daylight but they need to be checked again.  No sooner had I gotten the words out than I heard the "cat" sound again, back in the brush on the otherside of where the goats are but more distant.  Told Jake to get in the house and I went in a got the .357 and started outside quietly.

As I stepped out the back door, I heard the sound overhead causing me to immediately jerk my head up.  It was a bird, so I followed around the house in the direction it was going.  It met another bird, just like it over our front stock tank and made the noise again.  I have never seen these birds before but they appear to be water birds hence the reason I was hearing the sounds on the creek across the road and when the dogs got after it. . .the sounds moved off rather quickly.

In comparing the sounds to those on the video . . . they were as frequent and it threw me.  Also, hubby said he'd heard it and thought it was after the goats because it was so near the goats. . . Subconciously, I questioned it but never verbalized it.  Big cats are stealth hunters, they aren't going to make any verbalizations as they creep up to their intended prey.  The joke is on Jamie!  Well, and me!  I feel very dumb at this point but so ever relieved.

I will say, that last night due to advice from some board members I got online and went to researching while I was monitoring the weather.  I have learned a lot and can better face my fear of the big cat of the western hemisphere.  We do live in an area where they have been seen, though infrequently but they are here.  The kids and I know what to do if we encounter one thanks to websites from the west coast.  I may start another post of that later as I have to leave but I honestly hope that you all get the biggest laugh out of this.  I have played the fool and lived to tell about it.  Boy have I a story for the retired game warden turned sheriff and anybody else.  At least it is a good one.  Hubby's grandmother and aunt had a good laugh out of it already. . . as I had called to tell the grandmother and she wanted me to tell the aunt.

Life is good, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment