Monday, June 6, 2011

Wet and Wild and Lessons Learned

The heat in Deep East Texas was brutal yesterday and is on path to be the same way to day as it is already 100 degrees at 1:30 p.m.  The grass around this area is struggling as most already are aware.  My back yard is just about bare. . . so I have planted fescue as it is supposed to be shade tolerant and have been watering in the mornings and evenings. 

The Weirdos (palomino and brown appaloosa horses) were turned out to graze the grass that hasn't been affected as badly by the heat.  Sister was washing dishes and happened to look out the kitchen window.  This is what she saw:

Not Waiting on a Rainy Day
(06/06/2011)

He seemed to be enjoying himself.

(06/06/2011)

Mmmmm. . . . . that is good and cold.

(06/06/2011)

Catching drops on water on the tongue.  They never do this in the rain.

(06/06/2011)

Maybe the kids and I should take his hint this afternoon and play in the sprinkler, too?  Then I moved the sprinkler.  I don't think Fiddler was too happy with me for moving it.  What do you think?

A Pouting Pony

(06/06/2011)

I wonder if this guy was in on it, too?

The Lone Rooster

(06/06/2011)


The day started out crazy. . . but valuable lessons have been learned.  The colored horses had been turned out early to do their grazing and I had started putting out fresh water for my chickens when I noticed Quatro (the appaloosa) dragging a Coke bottle around by his mouth with a string.

Recently, Brother had made a new kind of fishing bobber that involved a couple of Coke bottles.  He put a lead weight in them, put the cap back on, and then tied a bit of fishing line to it to which he attached a hook.  Then he applied more line to use in anchoring it to a bush for retrieval.  He and my better half went fishing/ deer hunting site prospecting with my brother and so he got the chance to try his idea out.  It was obviously an excellent idea as he did catch a perch on it.

Upon arriving back home from their expedition, Brother  just threw one of them out of the truck and into the yard, to which I had no clue.  (There is nothing wrong with having things in the yard but there are certain things which should never be thrown down and this is one of them.)  It had been totally forgotten about by him until this morning. 

When I saw Quatro dragging that bottle around, I just about died and it scared me to no end.  We really don't need to be adding to our veterinary bill unless it is an absolute have to but I would see what I could do before loading up.  The kids were called out of the house as I was grabbing a pair of wire pliers.  I figured that if the hook was embedded close enough that I could reach it, I could push it on through enough to cut the barb off and pull it back through the the way it started in.

Sister had been told to halter him and she'd grabbed a pair of scissors but she couldn't get the halter on him as Quatro had moved away when she tried to halter him.  Since she had the scissors, I had her cut the fishing line as close to the bottle as possible.  Sister turned to go get treats to see if he would allow her to halter him, then.  About the time she got to him, the line had miraculously fallen out.   

After that, I went and looked at the bottle.  There was still a hook attached and embedded in the line that had been coiled around the bottle neck.  So, Brother was asked how many hooks had been on it.  Thankfully, he said that there was only one hook on the bottle.  Obviously, and upon inspection of Quatro's mouth, the tie line had come lose and had gotten hung on one of his teeth.  The Coke bottle must have weighted the line enough that it stayed hooked on the tooth.  Sister cutting the line released the pressure and the line fell out.  Whew!

We didn't have to take Quatro to the vet.  And Brother learned a valuable lesson.  The lesson he learned was that it is very, very important not to just throw things like that down where ever we please; even if there is a rotten shrimp on the end from fishing.  Take the shrimp off, dispose of it, and put his gear away in its proper place.  He was very upset about possibly having hurt one of the horses and possibly even on of the dogs but he did learn an important lesson. (Hopefully, it will help with other things as well!. . . I hope.)

Lesson learned and life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment